Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I just finished reading The Ghost Map

I just finished reading The Ghost Map. I ordered it through Abebooks.com along with my other required books, and it was the first to arrive. I started reading it immediately because it looked so interesting, and it certainly did not dissappoint! It is fascinating, and I could not put it down. It gave me a new perspective on our biases and narrow vision which prevents us from discovering the truth about all the mysteries surrounding us. This book is a vivid example of the need to think outside the box in which we think as we tackle the issues society faces.

After reading this book, I'm almost inspired to become an epidemiologist. Dr. John Snow revolutionized society as we know it on so many levels simply because he was puzzled by a medical mystery and would not rest until it was solved. His collaboration with Rev. Henry Whitehead, who was equally determined to solve the situation, demonstrates the need to study more than just one area of expertise. The solution will almost always be found in a multi-disciplinary fashion, which is exactly the purpose of Geography as a discipline--to see the world in all its facets and connect those facets together to make a complete picture, beautiful and complex.

1 comment:

The Goat's Friend said...

Stacie -- You've got the idea, but who's surprised that you snapped it up so quickly! I'm delighted that you're enjoying the books. In the "day class," I've had to switch the first two books, solely because the bookstore didn't get the Route 66 volume in quite as quickly as they might have. But the order isn't crucial, and you've got the last book done first. (There are, incidentally, some great added elements of the London cholera story, which I'll forward to you later when I collect them properly.)